School Trustees/Governors are one of the country's largest voluntary groups with around 300,000 contributing to strategic development and raising standards of achievement at more than 30,000 schools. They are drawn from different parts of the community and can be parents and staff or from the LA, the community and other groups. This helps ensure the governing body has sufficient diversity of views and experience.
The governance model within a single academy trust, such as here at Cavendish, has two layers:
Members - who have ultimate responsibility for the trust achieving its charitable objectives. The Board. They sign off the articles of association and have the power to appoint & remove members of the governing body.
Trustees - who oversee the running of the school, provide support & challenge to the Principal, determine the strategic direction of the school and who are accountable to Members and the Secretary of State through the governing body and sub-committees which report to it. The trustees must also ensure compliance with company & charity law; including the duty of compliance, duty of prudence and duty of care, and with the trusts funding agreement with the Secretary of State.
In addition the Principal is responsible for the day to day running of the school and is accountable to the the members/trustees/directors.
The governing body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. The 3 core functions of a governing body are:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the principal to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance and management of its staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
We at The Cavendish High Academy are fortunate to have the support of the following people who give up their free time to govern our school.
- Mrs Carole Howard - Member / Trustee / Chair
- Mr David Jameson - Member
- Mrs Hilary Kershaw Jones - Member
- Mrs Lisa McMillan - Co-opted Trustee / Vice Chair
- Ms Gill Price - Co-opted Trustee
- Mrs Elisha Newton - Co-opted Trustee / Chair of Finance Sub Committee
- Mrs Janette Gregg - Co-opted Trustee
- Mr Damian Bridgeman - Co-opted Trustee
- Miss Kayleigh Harding - Parent Trustee
- Vacancy - Parent Trustee
- Mrs Elaine Haver - Principal Head Teacher ex-officio
- Miss Marie Histon - Staff Trustee
If you wish to contact trustees directly you can do so by sending a letter marked PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL to the Clerk to Governors or the Chair of Governors (currently Mrs Carole Howard) at The Cavendish High Academy, Lincoln Close, Runcorn, Cheshire WA7 4YX. This will be forwarded directly to the relevant addressee.
If you wish to make a complaint please refer to the complaints procedure policy - HERE